Background

Monday, June 13, 2011

Sewing Patterns - My Search For Paper

My grandmother was a seamtress and dressmaker.  She had her own business and worked from home.  My earliest memories are of sitting on the sewing machine cabinet leaf and watching her sew.  I was fascinated with the speed of the material moving under the presser foot.  I loved watching her make button holes and whip stitching - her hands, rough from working with the fabrics, moving so fast I could hardly see everything she was doing.  She would give me scraps of material to play with.  She would talk to me. 
She started teaching me how to sew when I was around six or seven.  I started with doll clothes, making pleated skirts, gathered skirts and simple crop tops.  She would even let me use her sewing machine which had a knee press.  She had a card table next to her sewing machine where she did her hand work.  She had a chair for me where I would sit across from her and work on the card table, too.  We would talk as we worked - I loved my grandmother.  
When I grew up and started a family of my own, she gave me her old sewing machine and cabinet.  It is one of my most prized possesions.  I love to sew - I love design and the feel of different fabrics. Every decade seems to have its own style and I love them all.  

Our scavenger hunt this week at ESN is for paper.  I decided on looking for sewing patterns, patterns that reminded me of sewing with my grandmother.  

Here is a vintage Vogue pattern from the 1950s.  See that bolero jacket?  I remember a princess style dress that my grandmother made me in the '50s with a bolero jacket.  I loved that dress.  This pattern can be purchased from Your Whatnot Shop.


     
Here is a 1955 McCall pattern for a jumper with straps from Comycgyrl.  My grandmother made me one just like it.  Even the material looks the same.  Mine was made in a white and blue plaid dotted swiss.

From Bargain Express, I found this cute girls Simplicity sewing pattern, Lizzie McGuire, for several different styles of tops.  I really like the top with the flared sleeves.  Reminds me of the 1970s. 

Stop by the eCrater Stores Network and check out these and other fine eCrater sellers soon. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice post and I bet a very pleasant walk down memory lane for you! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar to my memories with Mama and aunts sewing. I didn't learn myself until I was grown with girls to sew for though. Nice post searching for paper. Neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one CBL! The only time I ever followed a pattern was in Home Ec and even then, I cut the darn thing in half. So I'm not a sewing person, but I really enjoyed watching my Grandmother make the Singer treadle machine go 90 miles an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the post I learn to sew with a Singer treadle sewing machine and my grandmothers scraps. I have my other grandmother sewing machine and cabinet!

    ReplyDelete