Background

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Quiet After The Storm

Our ESN scavenger hunt this week is for Hurricane Irene.  For so many victims of this large hurricane, the effects are felt long after the storm passes.  There are so many people without electricity and for some, it could be days or weeks until it is back on. It is always so quiet when the electricity is off - no sounds of the air conditioner or the refrigerator or the humming of the ceiling fans.  No TV or radio.  The wind is no longer howling and the rain has stopped.  It is quiet and still - well, except for the chain saws outside in the neighborhood cutting up fallen trees and limbs.  It's a good time to read and escape into another world, do some knitting or crocheting or putting together jigsaw puzzles.  All of these activities help to keep your mind off of the fact that you have no electricity.

Hopefully, you all had already shopped at the ESN scavenger hunters' stores for books, crafting projects and puzzles for this quiet time.  Here are a few things that I had found to help me escape the withdrawal of no computer.

For my books, I want to read romance stories and I found 2 that I can't wait to escape to.  Nora Roberts is always a good romance read and the Key of Light, one of the books of the Key Trilogy looks like a good one.  You can find this and other good romance books at Barb's Bargains Reading Corner.              

The other book I found is Riverbend by Marcia Martin.  It is a romance story that takes place in the South.  I love southern romance stories and when one of the adjectives describing the book is "steamy", well, I had to get it.  This book was found at ComycGyrl Collectibles and she also has quite a few other romance novels.

In between reading, I like to work on jigsaw puzzles.  Looking for those pieces can really make time go fast.  I found this gorgeous puzzle over at Eccentric ThrifterThomas Kinkade's Shimmer Sea of Tranquility.  Sort of approriate after Hurricane Irene, don't you think?  With 750 pieces and mostly muted golds, tans and browns, this will take hours and hours of time, but it sure is a beautiful picture.  She has some other fantastic jigsaw puzzles to choose from, too.

For my craft project, I like to crochet and I found this pattern book over at Bargain ExpressHooked on Crochet Pattern Book from 1998, the afghan on the cover really caught my eye.  Isn't it pretty?  Just hope I have the yarn to make it.  Oh, I'm sure I do.    

You know, sometimes there are just times when you aren't in control.  So, take the opportunity to do some things that you might not otherwise do when the electricity is back on. 

Please keep those that lost property and loved ones in your prayers.  These are the real victims. 

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget the hum of generators within that blessed peace after the storm! Great choices. I did most of those this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well put! Thank you for a good blog. We need to be reminded to have some things on hand for times like these, not just the food and water items that we stock up for emergencies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the first time I experienced more than a few hours without power. I did read a book and we also started a puzzle.
    Great ESN choices.

    ReplyDelete