Background

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Grandparents Day Scavenger Hunt at ESN

This week's scavenger hunt at ESN is to find items for or about Grandparents.  Because Grandparent's Day was on 9/11 this year, I'm sure most people were recalling the tragedy that struck our country 10 years ago and honoring the victims of that horrific day.

My grandmother was one of the two most important people in my life growing up.  She taught me how to sew and cook.  She always had time for me and I loved her very much.  But, she was usually the one that would give me a "talking to" if I did anything wrong.  Oh, I dreaded those "talking to".   Although she has been gone for many years, I still miss her and try to be as good a grandmother to my grandchildren as she was to me.  Here are a few things from the ESN Scavenger Hunters that remind me of my grandmother with a few of my items at CAROLINABLUELADY Vintage Collectibles mixed in. 
 
My grandmother always wore a broach. Most of her broaches had rhinestones and I loved the sparkle and glitter. While this broach is not made of rhinestones, this Avon Spring Bouquet Pin reminds me of my grandmother. Other beautiful Avon jewelry can be found at CAROLINABLUELADY Vintage Collectibles.






She also collected coins - usually on the weekends she would put new found coins into her coin books after recording her sewing payments in her books. This Rare1901 Indian Head Penny from Bargain Express reminds me of my grandmother because she was born in 1901.

My grandmother was a dressmaker and I loved watching her sew.  We had many conversations in her sewing room as she taught me how to sew.  This Vogue Very Easy Dress pattern of a classic dress reminds me of my grandmother.  You can find this and other patterns at CAROLINABLUELADY Vintage Collectibles.
 
My grandmother always wore an apron when she cooked. Most of her aprons were the kind that went over the head and tied in back. She had them hanging on a nail in the sink room. This Happy Thanksgiving Embroidered apron from Embroidery Fashions Boutique reminds me of my grandmother.


My grandmother loved going to the Indiana Glass factory in Dunkirk, Indiana and purchase their carnival glass with her sister.  This Fruits Relish Tray in the amber carnival from Indiana Glass reminds me of my grandmother.  This and other vintage glassware can be found at CAROLINABLUELADY Vintage Collectibles.
My grandmother loved flowers and plants and had small planters of plants on her window sill in front of the kitchen sink.  Most of the planters were made by McCoy.  This McCoy Green Stripe Planter from Eccentric Thrifter reminds me of my grandmother.

These are just a few of the things that remind me of my grandmother.  You can check out other ESN sellers for treasures that bring back special memories of your grandparents.   


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful remembrances of your grandmother. She must have been really special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool how you tied the coin to your grandmother by the date. This was a great post altogether. Thanks for including my plant holder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grandmother must have been one special lady and role model. Thanks for including our Thanksgiving apron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely tribute to your grandmother :)

    ReplyDelete