Background

Monday, April 9, 2012

When Frogs Fly

Or is that when pigs fly?  Last week's ESN Scavenger Hunt had frogs as its theme.  I know, I'm a little behind but just couldn't come up with anything clever about frogs.  I must say that the ESN scavenger hunters are pretty talented coming up with different takes on the themes. 

The great thing about the computer is that you can type in search words and all sorts of things pop up in the search.  All I did was type in "frog" and I found out that Rayne, Louisana is the frog capital of the world.  Located in Cajun country, not too far from New Orleans, Donat Pucheau, a gourmet chef in the 1880s (did they really have gourmet chefs back then?), started selling bullfrogs to New Orleans restaurants.  Then the Weill Brothers from France got wind of the craze over frog legs and began exporting frogs to restaurants all over putting Rayne, Louisana on the map.

On Labor Day weekend, the good people of Rayne celebrate the frog with a town festival.  One of the happenings during the festival is a Frog Derby and they dress the frog racers in jockey uniforms.  Folks, I am not making this up.  I imagine it is pretty exciting as you would never know when a frog might take a giant leap, fly over all the other froggies and win the race.

After reading all the cute stories of frogs, I still don't have any desire to touch a frog.  I'll just leave that to the good people of Rayne, Louisiana.
I did find this cute T-shirt at Embroidery Fashions Boutique - you just might want to check it out.  This long sleeve womans's t-shirt features 3 pigs with wings flying over the clouds.  Called "When Pigs Fly."  I thought, my sentiments exactly - I'll handle a slimy frog "when pigs fly."  


A message from last year's winner of the Frog Derby
"Eat More Chickin"
please
      

3 comments:

  1. This is a great blog! So informative and funny, you are so clever CBL! I really laughed at the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so cute blog! I've actually been through Rayne when the frog festival is going on - it's crazy! And the overpass off I-10 at Rayne is painted with pictures and the announcement that it's the Frog Capitol, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew there was so much to know about frogs? Great post!

    ReplyDelete