Background

Friday, November 28, 2014

Vintage Ornaments Hold Special Memories


When I think of Christmas as a child,  my first thoughts are the silver aluminum tree with the rotating color wheel and Christmas lights strung across the fireplace - bubble lights specifically.  At night, I would sit in my rocking chair and listen to 45s on my record player.  All the lights would be off except for the Christmas lights and I would watch the changing colors from red, blue, green to yellow shine on the tree from the rotating wheel and the water bubbling in the bubble lights.

 Everyone except my grandmother would be upstairs.  My grandmother would be across the hall in her sewing room and I could hear the hum of her sewing machine in the background.  I would listen to Paul Anka, Elvis Presley, Bobby Darin, Dion, Peter, Paul & Mary, the Shirelles, Neil Sedaka and so many more.  Or, I would listen to instrumentals like the themes from The Misfits or Lawrence of Arabia and make up stories to go with the passion of the music.
 
Last year, I set the silver Christmas tree (the same one that is in the 1963 picture) up with a rotating color wheel in my kitchen.  My kitchen faces the front and has a big picture window, so it was a perfect place to display the vintage silver aluminum tree.

I do have some vintage ornaments for sale at CAROLINABLUELADY Vintage Collectibles.


 1993 Fancy Feast Happy Holidays Fireplace Christmas Ornament

Avon Christmas Ornaments Set of 3 Twelve Days of Christmas


1984 Avon Christmas Ornament Jewel Tone Mandolin











You can find other Christmas decor items at these online stores, too

No comments:

Post a Comment