Friday, December 10, 2010

I Love That Pottery!


I'll have to be honest - there aren't too many pieces of pottery that I don't like. I'm not even sure that I could tell you the styles that I prefer. When I lived in Indiana, there were the potteries located in the Nashville (Brown County) area that we use to visit quite often. When my daughter lived in Tennessee, we visited the Sevierville and Pigeon Forge areas - great pottery places in the artisan areas. I was always fascinated watching the people spin the pottery using their hands to shape and mold the pieces. 

Now that I live in North Carolina, I find the Seagrove, NC area is one of the largest communities of potters consisting of over 100 potteries in a 20 miles radius. Having the longest continual history of pottery making in the United States, the Seagrove area was settled in the late 1700s of mostly English and German decent. The Seagrove Pottery area is located in central North Carolina and includes Randolph, Moore, Montgomery and Lee counties. Untouched by urban growth, the area is simple beautiful and is located just east of the Uwharrie National Forest. It is like going back in time driving along the back roads to reach the different pottery shops. In fact, a lot of the pottery shops have picnic tables for visitors to picnic and just enjoy the serenity of the area. 

While the tradition of Seagrove pottery began more than 200 years ago, there is a unique blend of potters - some are the eighth and ninth generations of potter families, some settled in the area from the 1960s and 1970s “hippie” generation and some are new potters. What brings them together is their love for making some of the most beautiful and unique pottery in the world. Here are two pieces of North Carolina pottery that I have for sale at Carolinabluelady Vintage Collectibles. These aren't vintage pieces. 


The Piney Woods Pottery Electric Candle Chip Warmer at the left hand side has beautiful applied pink roses. 

 Piney Woods Electric Candle Holder

And, an egg separator by Fat Beagle Pottery is just so cute. 


These two great NC pottery pieces are at my eCrater store.  I'm sure you will find something that will catch your eye.

1 comment: