Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Side Trip To The Potteries

Last week I had to travel to Garner, NC and Kinston, NC and visit customers for my real job.  Took the scenic route through the hills and countryside of the Uwharrie Mountains of central North Carolina.  With most people using I-85 or I-40, these secondary highways have very little traffic and are much more picturesque meandering through the forests and over the creeks and rivers.  Listening to the "oldies" on the radio, I feel like I'm in another world.  With just one visit Friday morning, I decided to stop at a couple of my favorite potteries in the Seagrove area on my way back home in the afternoon.  I just happened to have some empty boxes so that I could purchase some more beautiful pieces of North Carolina pottery to sell.

My first stop was Fat Beagle Pottery.  I just love talking to Charles "Doc" Tostoe.  When I walked in, Doc was sitting at his potter's wheel making some vases.  As we talked, I walked around his store looking at all the beautiful pieces he had done.  Most are utilitarian - bowls, bakers, mugs and pitchers, but he also makes some beautiful pieces using the raku and pit-fired processes.  

Fat Beagle Pottery Blue Brown Planter Attached Saucer.  This beautiful planter is blue and brown, hand-turned and gas-fired.  It's that time of year for planting flowers and plants


    Fat Beagle Pottery Blue Brie Baking Stoneware Dish.  Another beautiful baking dish in the blue with yellow painted brush strokes on the bottom - looks like a summer flower.  Another hand-turned and gas-fired piece, Fat Beagle stoneware is oven proof.

  
And, here is a beautiful vase made in the "Raku" process - Fat Beagle Pottery Raku Brown Crackle Vase.  Raku is an ancient Japanese pottery process.  Pieces using this process are for decor only, you can not use these for food preparation or serving.

I bought many more pieces from Fat Beagle Pottery and Piney Woods Pottery.  It was a good thing that I had those empty boxes in my car.  Check out more beautiful pottery from the Seagrove, North Carolina area - CAROLINABLUELADY Vintage Collectibles on eCrater and CAROLINABLUELADY Vintage Collectibles on eBay.  And, check in later to see what I found at Piney Woods Pottery.

2 comments:

  1. Those are truly beautiful CBL - can't wait to see what else you found :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please send me your e-mail address. I tried the one listed and everything came back. Please send to alliej0225@bellsouth.net

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete